Update: This project is due to launch on the 18th August 2022. Enquiries can be sent to email@example.com
Citylife Business Support is available to businesses within the City of Newcastle Upon Tyne to help adapt to new challenges, increase business resilience and safeguard jobs. Citylife Business Support is funded through the North of Tyne Combined Authority’s Place Innovation Programme and Newcastle City Council.
Business & IP Centre North East have developed Citylife Business Support, a package of free support that will focus on enabling businesses to grow and implement new models of delivery to help them adapt to the current economic climate and plan for their future.
Eligible SMEs (Small or Medium-sized Enterprises) can access:
- Up to twelve hours of free support from BIPC North East Citylife Experts.
- Workshops tailored to specific business needs.
- A free events programme based on current business challenges, the funding landscape, resilience, and innovation
Who can apply? To be eligible, a business must:
- Be a small or medium-sized enterprise, located within the local authority areas of Newcastle Upon Tyne. Unfortunately, businesses located outside of these areas cannot access this support.
- Must be safeguarding or creating new jobs within the business, and/or making changes within the business that will help improve covid safety, resilience or operational impact.
To be classed as an SME a business must meet the following criteria:
- Average number of employees during a financial year must not exceed 250.
- Annual Turnover must not exceed £36m.
- Balance Sheet total must not exceed £18m.
What support can I get?
BIPC North East’s Citylife Experts are available to provide twelve hours of free advice tailored to individual needs. This could be one-to-one advice and support, delivered online or in person, or it could be a project or piece of work that they would carry-out on your behalf.
Businesses can draw on the experience of more than 40 experts who can support them to re-position their business activities. Advice ranges from digital and online capabilities, business finance and cash flow, access to new contracts and market opportunities, employment law, continuity planning, introducing green or sustainable aspects to your business, and re-focusing business operations.
All Experts offer at least one free initial session, however, through the Citylife Business Support Project, you can access up to twelve hours of additional free support. You can receive support from one Expert, or split your 12 hours between up to two Experts. The service is flexible, providing access to a range of experts to suit the needs of your business.
Who are the Citylife experts?
The Citylife Experts are small businesses or business support organisations who have worked in partnership with BIPC North East, through the Centre’s Experts-in-Residence programme, or have delivered and supported workshops and events organised by BIPC North East.
What if I don’t know what support I need?
If you are unsure about which experts might be most appropriate to provide you with support, the BIPC North East team will help you to select an Expert. You can get a free session with any of the Experts, before using your twelve additional hours, to help you decide which Expert is most likely to be able to provide you with the support most needed by your business. It is fine to speak to several Experts before deciding who you would like to work with.
How do I apply?
- Go to our Experts-in-Residence page to find out which Experts are best placed to provide you with the support you need. Experts participating in the Citylife project are identified. Other Experts-in-Residence featured are not participating in Citylife, as their services are already free to access.
- Complete the initial appointment form on a Expert’s individual page and submit it online, providing us with details of the type of support you require. If you are unsure of who to speak to, fill in the contact form here https://www.bipcnortheast.co.uk/contact/ and we can direct you to the right Experts
- BIPC North East will contact the Expert you have chosen, or best-placed Expert to provide the help you require. The Expert will contact you directly to arrange a meeting (online or in-person).
- If you require further meetings or support, this will be agreed at your first meeting, along with a breakdown of the work that is required and the number of hours it will take to complete this work. BIPC North East will then send you an application form to complete and sign and a short Business Eligibility form. These will be returned to us electronically, along with proof of identity (copy of driving licence or passport photo-page).
What happens next?
BIPC North East will contact you to confirm your eligibility and authorise the expert to commence working with you. Your Expert will be in touch to arrange to carry out the work agreed.
What happens after I have received support from the Expert?
Once your Expert has delivered the support agreed and you’ve signed-off as completed, we will pay the Citylife grant into your business bank account, so that you can use it to pay the Expert.
Does the Grant include VAT?
If your business is not registered for VAT, the grant will include the Expert’s fee plus VAT. If you are registered for VAT, the grant will NOT include VAT and you will have to pay this element yourself.
Can I then get support from another Expert?
If you have used your full twelve hours of funded support from your Expert, you cannot access additional grant-aided support from another – although all Experts will be happy to provide one free advice session. If you have not used all of your twelve-hour allocation, you can use the balance to seek help from another expert.
What happens if the support I need takes longer than twelve hours to complete?
Larger projects of support can be undertaken but the Citylife Business Support scheme will only fund the first twelve hours, provided by the Expert. You would need to pay the balance when the work is completed. Larger schemes of support must be agreed at the initial experts meeting, prior to making an application.
How do I access the free events programme?
BIPC offers a range of workshops and events, most of which are in person. Our events are held at a variety of venues within Newcastle as well as BIPC Locals around the North East region.
Workshops are topical and are based on common themes and business need we identify from the businesses we support. As part of a national network of Business & IP Centres, local businesses can also tap into free online webinars, details of which can be found on our events page. To keep up to date with our events programme visit this link.
If you have any questions about the scheme or would like to speak to someone to talk through how Citylife Business Support might be able to help you, contact us.
The Citylife Business Support programme is developed and supported by